The following was approved by RA Meeting of December 2004:
The mandate of the Auroville Council is to assist the members of the Residents Assembly in organizing their activities as follows:
To maintain and harmonize the various mandates of the working groups of Auroville and to see that the working groups function according to their mandates.
- To harmonize the interaction among the working groups and the activities of the Residents of Auroville
- To coordinate a short term plan and budget, in collaboration with the APDC , SAIIER, ABC and the FAMC, and other working groups to be presented to the Residents’ Assembly for yearly ratification.
- Encourage the generation of programs and policies for the realisation of these objectives.
- Oversee the observance of policies and decisions approved by the RA in collaboration with the Working Committee and address non-compliance with established Auroville policies.
- Deal with emerging issues that fall outside the purview of other working groups.
- Establish and oversee review and arbitration bodies when required.
- Report regularly to the Residents’ Assembly on its activities.
- Ensure that the principles of natural justice are observed in Auroville such as providing relief from arbitrariness in decision-making.
- Convene regular General Meetings